PRIORITIES FOR THE 87TH TEXAS LEGISLATURE
As approved by the Board of Trustees of the Eanes Independent School District
- Support reduction of the burden of Robin Hood/recapture on local school districts as well as the implications for communities and taxpayers.
- Support efforts to secure the current funding system and make appropriate budget decisions to assure the long-term sustainability and commitments of HB3.
- Support prioritizing maintenance of the basic allotment and instructional allotments over implementation of new programmatic spending until such resources are available.
- Advocate for truth-in-taxation, including the ramifications of tax compression, as related to rising property values and the corresponding decline in state funding.
- Oppose any mandated use of school district fund balances to offset or supplant state or local funding.
- Support hold-harmless provisions for funding losses due to COVID-19.
- Dedicate federal disaster-relief funds to public schools without supplanting state public education spending.
- Support the ability to advocate for local taxpayers, for example, by belonging to organizations and having representative voices in the legislative process.
- Oppose any legislation which allows only special interest groups, non-profit and quasi non-profit public education organizations or charter schools preferential access to lawmakers and the law- making process.
- Oppose the diversion of public funds to private entities through vouchers or voucher-like programs (e.g. education savings accounts, tuition tax credits, etc.) without the same accountability and transparency for public tax dollars as public schools.
- Limit the expansion of large charter school franchises without first fully funding public schools as committed, so available state funds for public education are first used to sustain the promises of HB3.
- Oppose the current A-F ratings that rely solely on online STAAR scores without taking into account other measures that recognize the strengths and uniqueness of each student, school and district.
- Support combining locally-developed measures with state measures in an accountability system that more accurately demonstrates the effectiveness of a school or district.
The Eanes ISD Board of Trustees
Dr. Tom Leonard, Superintendent
Adopted Jan. 26, 2021