District of Innovation & Local Control
The Eanes ISD Board of Trustees approved the Plan for Innovation & Local Control at the December 13, 2016 meeting.
Eanes ISD pursued the designation due to the following benefits:
- Flexibility: Districts will have the flexibility to implement practices similar to charter schools, including exemptions from certain mandates including the uniform school start date and required minutes of instruction.
- Local control: Districts decide which flexibilities best suit their local needs.
- Autonomy: Districts must submit a district of innovation plan to the commissioner of education, but approval is not required.
After numerous discussions, the DOI committee identified the following exemptions on which to focus:
- maintain reasonable class sizes in grades K-4 of 22:1 or less, except in rare and extenuating circumstances
- determine a flexible school start date
- allow unique alternatives to educator certification for distinctive courses or needs
- adjust instructional minutes and school-day length
- implement a local teacher and administrator appraisal system
The calendar, which was part of the discussion of flexible start dates, was also approved for the 2017-18 school year.