Building a Community of Trust Through Developing Racial Awareness
The purpose of “Building a Community of Trust Through Developing Racial Awareness” is to enhance community, staff, and student racial awareness and to cultivate an environment of understanding our unique similarities and differences. Developing racial awareness is an initial step to deepening understanding of equity and how it can be used to improve access and increase belongingness of all students. While we will focus on enhancing racial awareness initially, our goal is to improve access and increasing belongingness of all students, including those with religious, gender identity, cultural, ability and economic differences. Ultimately, our purpose is to develop a sense of belonging for all members of diverse groups. By taking these direct steps around racial awareness, EISD leaders will learn how to respond within the school district and the community to the direct and recent calls for change coming from various stakeholders.
The primary ways that EISD will be supported are through needs assessments, staff development, working directly with focus/advisory group(s), and serving as a consultant to community/leadership/staff/
We promise to examine our:
- hiring practices
- traditions and teaching
- selection of criteria
- staff development
We want to learn with our community.
- listen better and thoughtfully plan
- retain a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion facilitator and/or program auditor
- train staff to recognize implicit bias
- this summer create a list of resources for parents to use when discussing racial justice with their children
We pledge to:
- Examine our Handbooks and Policies
- Continue to examine our traditions, several of which have been changed over the years