The May 2023 bond requires no tax rate increase; those over 65 have their EISD taxes frozen. The bond election will have no impact on the current Eanes ISD debt service tax rate, which will remain $0.12 per $100 property valuation regardless of the election’s outcome. The 2023 bond accommodates prepaying existing debt, as well as allows for accelerated debt payments on the proposed bonds. This bond will take pressure off of the District's Maintenance and Operations (M&O) budget, which is used primarily to pay for teacher salaries and benefits and day-to-day expenses, such as utilities and fuel.
Maintenance & Operations (M&O)
For every $1 collected from taxpayers, Eanes ISD keeps approximately $0.36. Through recapture, the state currently keeps 64 cents out of every dollar that Eanes ISD collects with the M&O rate.
- M&O money funds day-to-day expenses, such as teacher salaries and campus utilities. Teacher salaries total approximately 87% of the District's M&O budget.
- Approximately 65 percent of the M&O taxes received by Eanes ISD is taken by the State of Texas under the "Robin Hood" plan for the State's General Fund.
- Eanes ISD will send the state more than $120 Million in recapture for the 2022-23 school year. With this payment, the District will have paid more than $1.6 Billion in recapture payments to the state since 1995.
For every $1 received, Eanes ISD keeps 100 percent
- Bond money is used for capital expenditures, buses and technology.
- Bond money can be used to pay certain capital expenses that might otherwise be funded for Maintenance & Operations (M&O) money. Bond money cannot be used for teacher salaries, however, it can alleviate additional expenses so more M&O funds are available.
Homeowners with an over 65 homestead exemption will not see an increase in their taxes because their tax bills were frozen in the year they turned 65 (unless new improvements are made to the home). To have property taxes frozen, a taxpayer who is 65 or older, must file an application with the Travis County Central Appraisal District. The District receives less money from homeowners with an over 65 homestead exemption due to the increased recapture rate.
Los documentos se encuentran disponible en las oficinas del Edificio Central de la Administración del Distrito Escolar de Eanes en Camp Craft Road, número 601, Austin, Texas 78746. En la red: (www.eanesisd.net) / o al llamar al número de teléfono 512-732-9011.