WHAT IS THE GT PROCESS FOR 1ST - 12TH GRADE?
- Notification for GT referral process and parent meeting will go out through district and campus communication.
- The assessment process is open to all students. Parents, staff members, and students themselves may initiate a request to be assessed for the GT Program, however parents are required to complete the online Consent for Assessment Form in order for their child to be assessed.
- A parent information meeting will be conducted on August 20, 2020 at the WHS Performing Arts Center at 6:00pm. Parents are encouraged to attend this informational meeting.
- Once a student is referred, parents must complete the online Consent for Assessment Form and submit it by the deadline in order for the assessment process to begin.
- The online consent form can be found on district & campus websites. The consent form will be available August 1, 2020 through August 30, 2020.
- Students (Grade 6-8) will be given a creativity assessment on September 12, 2020 at Hill Country Middle School. Students will be assigned an individual assessment time slot by the campus GT teacher.
- Parents will complete a Scales for Identifying GT Students (SIGS) form by September 25, 2020.
- All creative and ability assessments for grades 1-5 will be completed at the home campus.
- All ability assessments for grades 6-8 will be completed at the home campus.
***NOTE: If a student previously met the creativity OR intellectual ability qualification from the 2019-2020 school year, then that qualifying score will be applied to the 2020-2021 assessment period should you choose to have your child assessed.
- Letters will be mailed home by October 30, 2020 notifying parents of GT placement. Students qualifying for GT services will enter the program in early November 2020.
- Parents may initiate an appeal by completing an appeal form after they have met with the campus GT Specialist.
- A parent/guardian, student, or educator may submit an appeal of the Campus Committee’s decision by 4PM on December 9, 2020.
- District appeals committee will meet to review appeals and letters will be mailed home by December 18, 2020.