Middle school students, working on a team of at least three students under the guidance of an educator and mentor, build cities of the future over a period of four months. Student teams will:
- Design a virtual city of the future using SimCity software
- Research and write essays on the theme for the year (theme changes annually)
- Complete a project plan to help organize their work
- Build a model of their future city using recycled materials
- Prepare a formal presentation to share with judges at Regional Competitions in January.
- Regional winners present their projects at National Finals in Washington, DC, in February.
Students improve their problem-solving, public speaking, project management, and teamwork skills as they design the cities of the future. Science, technology, math and engineering are emphasized as they use the design process to solve real-world problems.