Eanes ISD

Board Highlights: Legislative update, 2018-19 calendar discussions and more.
Board of Trustees Highlights
Eanes Board
An Update from the Eanes ISD Board of Trustees
Superintendent's Report
Dr. Leonard

The change in seasons is upon us, which is always nice here in Austin. Even the elimination of my Cubbies cannot bring me down this time of year and sorry Dodgers fans, but I am holding true to my Texas allegiance and rooting for the Astros in the World Series!

The Board continues important discussions on budget, salaries and benefits, and more. We also continue to provide information about the proposed Penny Swap & Drop/TRE. If you have not been able to attend a presentation, I invite you to view the short explainer video here. Election Day is November 7th and I encourage everyone to vote.
The October meetings included an update on the 85th Legislative Session, presented by Christy Rome from the Texas School Coalition. The Board also heard reports on college admissions, the proposed 2018-19 calendar, enrollment and the annual independent financial audit. More information below.
See the full Board agenda packets online.
Update on 85th Legislative Session
85th Legislative Session

At the October study session, the Board heard an update on the 85th Legislative Session from the Texas School Coalition's Christy Rome. Key points from the report include:
  • State General Revenue for Public Education will decline by 3.2% over the biennium
  • During this same time period, student enrollment will increase by 1.64% each year statewide and inflation is expected to cost 2.5% to 3% statewide
See presentation online.
Enrollment
Enrollment Update

The Board was presented the latest enrollment report, which
stands at 8,054 students - an addition of 12 students since Sept.14. Current average class sizes in grades K-4 are slightly below the 2016-17 levels while average 5th grade class sizes are greater. Due to budget and staffing constraints, 17 sections in grades K-4 exceed the 22:1 student-to-teacher guideline.
Core averages (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) at the secondary level are slightly above last year's numbers. Districtwide, non-resident transfers are 9% fewer than 2016-17 levels.

See memo online.
See enrollment charts online.
WHS
College Admissions Report

Westlake High School staff presented the College Admissions Report at the October study session. The Class of 2017 had 84% go to a 4-year college, 14% go to a 2-year college and 2% indicate they were taking a gap year, going into the military or entering the workforce.

The University of Texas tops the list of where WHS students were admitted and attended, however, there was an expanded list of schools chosen by WHS students than in previous years.
See presentation online.
2018-19 Calendar
Instructional Minutes and 2018-19 Calendar

The Board discussed several options for the 2018-19 calendar, which will be considered and ultimately proposed by a sub-committee of the District Leadership Team (DLT). The sub-committee will examine instructional calendar options for the 2018-19 school year, making sure to consider information and goals from the 2017-18 calendar process, while also taking into account new rules from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) regarding waivers for instructional minutes.

The District will launch a stakeholder survey about calendar preferences by mid-November, with the DLT recommending a calendar option at the end of November or first of December. The Board is expected to vote on the 2018-19 calendar in December.
Read memo online.
See presentation online.
Eanes ISD
Independent Audit Gives Clean Opinion

The Board was presented the independent financial audit for the 2016-17 school year, which resulted in an unmodified opinion, also known as a clean and best opinion possible on audited financial statements.

The report highlighted the issuance of bonds by the District, resulting in $1.03 million in savings.
See presentation online.
Future Meetings
The next study session is November 7 (6pm open session), and the regular meeting is November 28 (7pm open session).
Always check http://www.eanesisd.net/board/cal for the most up-to-date schedule. To see agenda items, listen to meeting audio, or access board policy, please visit http://www.eanesisd.net/board.
Eanes ISD Board of Trustees
trustees@eanesisd.net

Eanes Independent School District, 601 Camp Craft Road, Austin, TX 78746
Sent by info@eanesisd.net in collaboration with
Constant Contact